August is flying by which means summer is nearing it's end. There are only a few weeks left to experience one of these must-do summertime activities:
1. Explore the Boston Harbor Islands. Hop on the ferry, and take a scenic cruise to George’s Island, where you can explore historic Fort Warren—or take a boat to Boston Light, and learn the history behind the last light station in the country to be staffed by a U.S. Coast Guard light keeper.
2. Dine al fresco. Choose from one of the many outdoor eating spots around the city. This is the roof deck at Jerry Remy’s Fenway, located on Boylston Street. Order a cocktail and snack while you gaze at Fenway park.
3. Kayak on the Charles. Charles River Canoe and Kayak offers small-boat rentals and guided tours, as well as paddling camps for kids.
4. Take a hike. There are plenty of beautiful hiking trails within an hour of Boston, including Breakheart Reservation in Saugus and Wakefield (pictured), Maudslay State Park in Newburyport, and Spectacle Island, where you can view the city from the tallest hill on the Boston Harbor Islands.
5. What’s better than free entertainment along the Charles River at the Hatch Shell? Listen to a Boston Landmarks Orchestra concert on Wednesday nights, or watch a free, family-friendly movie on Friday nights.